Vengeance, Power & Dior How Frida Kahlo, Evita Peron & Carmen Miranda Used Beauty to Become Immortal (Video)

 


I'm a Spanish Professor and a scholar of Gender Studies and Latin American Popular Culture. I've co-written a couple of books on popular culture and beauty work around the world, and I'm lucky enough to have a position that allows me to keep writing. 

The books I've written are academic, and, unfortunately very expensive (since they are the kind of thing a professor might assign for class as a textbook). 

So for my new project, I'm writing a book intended for a more general audience- the kind of thing you might see at Barnes and Noble. I'm hoping. (Fingers crossed!) To interest a publisher in this work.

In pursuit of the project, I was lucky enough to receive funding from the Latin American and Iberian Institute of the University of New Mexico to work in the amazing university libraries in Albuquerque. 

I spent an amazing six weeks there, and then recently gave this talk about my findings, the book and how much I admire Frida Kahlo, Carmen Miranda and Evita Peron. I invite you to watch it and hit me up with any feedback you may have!




Comments